24/7 carbon free
24/7 Carbon-Free Energy is a new approach to clean energy that accelerates the decarbonization of electricity systems by enabling organizations to meet their full electricity demand with carbon-free resources – every hour, every day, everywhere.
In November 2021, at COP26 in Glasgow, Buildings Alive was one of 40 founding signatories to join in the launch of the 24/7 Carbon-free Global Energy Compact. Energy Compacts are voluntary commitments from Member States and non-state actors to take specific actions that advance progress on Sustainable Development Goal 7 (SDG7) access to affordable, reliable, sustainable and modern energy for all.
24/7 Carbon-Free Energy means that every kilowatt-hour of electricity consumption is met with carbon-free electricity sources at every hour of every day, everywhere. It is based on the following principles:
- Time-matched procurement: matching hourly electricity consumption with carbon-free electricity generation. Hourly matching helps connect clean energy purchasing to underlying electricity consumption.
- Local procurement: purchasing clean energy on the local/regional electricity grids where electricity consumption occurs. This is the only way to drive the electricity-related emissions that a consumer is directly responsible for to zero.
- Technology-inclusive: recognizing the need to create zero-carbon electricity systems as quickly as possible. All Carbon-Free Energy technologies can play a role in creating this future.
- Enabling new generation: focusing on delivering additional Carbon-Free Energy to drive the rapid decarbonization of electricity systems.
- Maximizing system impact: addressing the dirtiest hours of electricity consumption where the most fossil fuel is used in generation.
To find out more, please visit the 24/7 Carbon-Free Energy Compact.